A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab was a fantastic sequel to A Darker Shade of Magic (click link to see my review). I’d heard nothing but great things about A Gathering of Shadows, so my expectations were pretty high. Were they met? Heck yes.
A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab, Victoria Schwab
Series: Shades of Magic #2
Published by Tor Books on February 23rd 2016
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Barnes & Noble, Buy from The Book Depository
It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift – back into Black London.
Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games – an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries – a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.
And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.
A fantastical tournament, mysterious disguises, and an evil, lurking magic
What I loved:
- It can actually stand alone! If you haven’t read A Darker Shade of Magic, you’re going to be a tad bit out of the loop as to what the series’ story arc is, but you can actually read this book by itself and still enjoy it!
- FOUR LONDONS. I love that there are four Londons that Kell can visit (he’s a special Antari who can travel between the four worlds, in case you didn’t read the first book). While the majority of this book takes place in Red London (which is the most cool and magical and perfect London), there’s enough involving other Londons that you still get all giddy inside.
- Kell’s awesome coat. Why can’t we all have a coat you can turn inside out an innumerable amount of times so that it can become different, cool coats?
- A magical tournament! Okay guys, what is more fun than a tournament that tests the competitors MAGICAL ABILITIES? Who doesn’t love stories like that? That’s basically what this book is about and it’s awesome (especially all the disguises and twists that come along with it…!).
- Lila and Kell. Their question of a romance in A Darker Shade of Magic is left lingering in this book, and it’s so fun to see what happens between these two.
What I didn’t love:
- The enormous cliffhanger at the end! But that’s okay, because all it did was make me EVEN MORE EXCITED for A Conjuring of Light, which comes out in February 2017!
If you like fantasy even a little bit, I’d 100% recommend this series. It’s excellent!
Have you read A Gathering of Shadows? What were your thoughts on the book? Have I convinced you to read this series yet? Because if I haven’t, let me give it one more go: You should read this series. Start here.