In case you missed it, not too long ago I was raving about Jurassic Park. I hadn’t read the book before and was instantly obsessed. Needless to say, I was quick to pick up The Lost World, because sequels = more dinosaurs. While I didn’t end up obsessing over The Lost World quite as much as JP, the 12-year-old boy in me was still satisfied by T-Rex scares, human-eating dinosaurs, and terrifying AF raptors.
The Lost World by Michael Crichton
on January 1st 1970
Genres: Science Fiction
Narrator: Scott Brick
Length: 15 hrs 19 mins
Buy on Amazon, Buy on Barnes & Noble
It is now six years since the secret disaster at Jurassic Park, six years since that extraordinary dream of science and imagination came to a crashing end — the dinosaurs destroyed, the park dismantled, the island indefinitely closed to the public.
There are rumors that something has survived.
What I didn’t like quite as much:
- It seemed just a tad-bit more science-y. Lots and lots of talk about things I personally didn’t care as much about. Um, excuse me, but when is the T-Rex gonna show up?
- The plot just wasn’t as fun for me (it’s still good, though!). JP is all about this cool new place- everything is optimistic and exciting. Then it all spirals out of control and gets crappy. This book is about perhaps finding the remnants of Jurassic Park, so as a reader I knew everything wasn’t going to be all hunky-dory this time. I knew it was going to be bad. I missed that false sense of security that JP had — it made things slightly more fun for me.
What was freaking awesome:
- THE T-REX(s, YES PLURAL). I’m seriously obsessed. Every time I would be listening to this audiobook and it’d start describing loud crashing sounds or big steps that caused the ground to vibrate I’d get so freaking giddy.
- There’s all sorts of fun people-running-away-from-dinosaurs bits in this. It’s exciting and scary and perfect!
- The enemies get what they deserve (and it’s usually in the form of munching dinosaur teeth).
The bottom line? READ THESE BOOKS. They’re too much fun to pass up.