It’s that time of year again when we all need to start thinking about what we’re going to be for Halloween. Books are an excellent source of costume ideas, so I figured I’d list some popular books with distinct characters that might help you come up with your Halloween costume.
- The Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The main character, Ignatius, has such a distinct outfit, that anyone who recognized you would be an automatic friend.
- Dune by Frank Herbert
Make your own stillsuit!
- Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
Which god would you be?
- The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
Bonus points if you carry a green light around!
- The Odyssey by Homer
There are all sorts of iconic people you could be from this story!
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Get some period-appropriate clothes, put on some zombie makeup, and slap a nametag that says Bennet on your dress. Voila!
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
You could be Queequeg, or Ahab, or perhaps even the white whale!
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Get yourself a pegleg and a map!
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Carry around a portrait of a much-older you!